First Week at Dana-Farber

One week gone by and I can already see how my summer is about to turn out… amazing. It’s my first time in a big city like Boston and I don’t know where to start. I literally want to go everywhere and there are just not enough hours in the day. The funny thing is, in the past week, I have been everywhere except downtown Boston. My friends have taken me to Newton, Weston, Dudham, Salem, the North Shore, Marblehead, Cambridge, and yet I haven’t even seen the Prudential. But it’s only the first week and I still have another two months ahead of me.

Slept on a boat in Salem Harbor and woke up to this!

On the other end of the spectrum, work, has been incredible. I got a research internship at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston and I would not be happier. In one week I think I have learned more than fifty textbooks could teach me. It’s crazy. Yes I’ve worked in a lab before but nothing like this. There’s at least twenty people in this factory room all day. People are here at 4, 5, 6, in the morning and stay through all hours of the night. They’re like zombies. But you can’t blame them. They love what they are doing. As for me, my project was just assigned and I couldn’t be more excited to start. For the past four years my adviser and several of his colleagues have accumulated a list of 10,000 protein abnormally expressed in Ovarian cancer cells. In the past few weeks they have somehow magically simplified that list to 60 proteins. My job is to take a few of those proteins (6-9) and analyze them through different analysis techniques in order to determine if they can be used as an early detection bio marker. Sure you may think it sounds boring but I am so stoked that its almost embarrassing.

Dana-Farber

Dana-Farber Cancer Institute

So far my P.I. (principle investigator) has had be grow up cell lines, split plates, freeze cells, prepare medium, condition medium, and start lysing them. Soon I’m gonna move on to the big finale… Western Blots. Basically its a two day procedure that I am going to have to perform literally a hundred times. It might sound tedious but as of right now its all I can look forward to.

My office

My office

As for my house, its ridiculous. I’m living at the AEPi house and MIT and I have never seen anything like it. And no, I am not in AEPi. They have some sort of summer housing program for college students and I found out about it online. It’s a five-story brownstone building right on Boston University campus that sits directly on the Charles River. Coming from the suburbs of South Florida I had no idea what to expect. But city life is pretty cool. Everything is within arms reach. They have every restaurant you can think of. Bars, shops, banks, doctors, barbers, movies, everything within a mile. Even Fenway Park is three blocks from my door. I love it.

My front yard

My front yard

Overall, my Boston adventure is off to a great start. I got to see my cousins, meet up with school friends, party hard, and learn a whole lot at my new job. Who know’s maybe I’ll be back one day for real. But, for now, its the scrub life. Until next time.