Foresight Design Initiative: Week One

After some technical difficulties and working 9-5:30 every day, I finally have some time to sit down and write about my first week!

This summer I am working at Foresight Design Initiative, a sustainable design/consulting firm that works with government organizations and many other interest groups in the Chicagoland area. Adjusting to a full time schedule and wearing business casual has certainly been interesting, never before did I realize that I had so many combinations of button downs and khakis! Commuting has also been interesting, and probably hasn’t been helping my blood pressure…

As for the actual work we have been doing, it has ranged from creating a window design for the Foresight office and creating a systems map of climate change. Without going into too much detail, that project explores the interconnectivity of the various factors inducing anthropogenic climate change, as well as some ways to intercede in the system. However, the most interesting thing that we did in week 1 was our meeting with the Metropolitan Planning Council about an initiative Foresight is helping to facilitate. To expand as much as I am able to, this initiative is a project Foresight has been given in order to facilitate communication between different stakeholder groups in the Calumet region in southern Chicago about availability and purity of water resources in the area. Seeing all of the different interest groups come together and talk about their side of the problems in an innovative way really made me stop and think about different ways to approach problems that confront a cityscape.

That’s about all I have for Week 1! It has been an enjoyable week and the people that I have met along with the skills that I have been learning make me believe that this summer will be a good training for a future career.