Hands on experience

Hi again from Green Light!

As we are hitting mid June (wow time moves fast) I figured it is time for an update. Most of my work so far has been development and fundraising. We even decided to change my internship title from Assistant Membership Coordinator to Assistant Fundraising and Developing Coordinator. My job title is wonderfully concise and transparent. I am only the second person to have this job so from the beginning we knew it was a “figure out as we go” kind of position. I am really happy with the work I have done so far. My two main projects have been writing a campaign about GoodSearch.com and creating promotional materials for our percent night at The Blue Jeans Bar. While interested by fundraising, it is easy to be discouraged, especially within non profits because the money is often scarce and getting people to donate is quite a hefty task. However, I experienced a small personal victory early in my internship. GoodSearch.com is a search engine that donates a penny to your organization of choice every time you search something. I sent a letter out to family and friends hoping to get new supporters for GreenLight. 5 new people signed up after my push! It is not a lot, but for my first effort it was a happy outcome. My job so far has been a lot of writing and research –which is great and what I was looking for, but last week I got a fun change in pace.

As I mentioned before, Green Light installs CFL bulbs and backyard vegetable gardens for free for local community members. Last week I got to participate in both of those programs. On Monday and Tuesday I installed two backyard gardens. I have never worked in a garden before and certainly do not have a green thumb. But, it was really fun to get my hands dirty and see the benefits of the fundraising work I am doing. My favorite part was exploring new parts of the Greater New Orleans area and meeting new neighbors. As a Tulane student, I fall victim of the university bubble and am happy when I get outside of that. Building the garden is a couple simple but lengthy tasks. First we dig a 4×4 hole about 6 inches deep (which takes up about an hour and fifteen minutes of the hour and a half usual garden building time), then pour 7 bags of mulch into the hole, plant and water the seeds and seedlings. It was cool to see how simply starting your own garden can be done. On Wednesday, I went around with some of our NCCC Americorps volunteers and installed lightbulbs. I had done this service before and enjoyed it so was happy to go out again. Green Light may be a small organization but their impact is vast and impressive–I feel proud to be on this team.

I think that is all I have for now. I will continue with updates as the summer goes on. If you are reading, live in the New Orleans area and would like to participate in either of these free programs, please visit the links below to sign up!

CFL bulbs: http://www.greenlightneworleans.org/greenapply.html

Garden Project: http://www.greenlightneworleans.org/gardenapply.html

Happy Monday!

Leigh