A day of work at the ballpark – part 3

My internship with the New York Mets has come to an end — and if there’s one thing I can’t say enough about the experience, it’s that there’s nothing like working in a baseball stadium. Walking the empty concourses of a stadium on a non-gameday is a truly special feeling — even if you’re not a sports fan.

Interning in the Ticket Office was an eye-opening experience, and provided me with an unbelievable opportunity to work in the sports industry. From mailing tickets, preparing ticket exchanges, updating the sales board, learning how to use ticketing computer programs, inputting information in spreadsheets, delivering gift packages to suites, organizing/managing in-stadium events, etc., the work was always different and I always had to be prepared to do the unexpected. The work was incredibly fun, challenging and exciting — and though working in the sports industry means long hours, few free weekends and tons of baseball, it was absolutely worth it.

I worked with incredibly dedicated people along the way who really served as great role models for me, as they each showed me the kind of heart and effort that must be put into working in the sports industry. I’ve been unbelievably fortunate to have had the opportunity to intern for the New York Mets and learn from my mentors, and it’s an experience that I treasure and will never forget.

Of course, the internship has only reaffirmed my desire and commitment to work in the sports industry, and it was a tremendous step that has set me in the right direction to pursue my passion and goal. I’m looking forward to staying in touch with the people I met, searching for other internships with the sports industry and applying what I learned from the internship to my business studies.