Summer Lovin’ Happened So Fast!

From the journal of Sarah from June 23-27, 2014

I have just finished my last week of camp! I should be excited. I am excited! However, there’s a part of me that is sad. I’m sad that camp is over. I’m sad that I won’t have to learn twenty new names and personalities. I am sad that my time at the National World War II Museum is coming to an end. There is still so much work to do after camp ends, I know I’ll be busy, but the fact that camp is over is driving home the point that summer is almost over as well. Soon, I will be going back to school and soon I will have to say goodbye to the museum and the experiences I had here.

Earlier I said that by the midpoint of my internship I would develop the skills needed to teach about the museum because I wanted to know more about working in a museum. I definitely learned what it means to work in a museum, but I underestimated just how much goes into running a museum. I could talk about general themes and tell you about science and technology in World War II, but there is much more to the story than science and technology. The history here is so rich, I feel like I need more time. I feel as if the knowledge I gained interning here is not enough. I am happy with what I’ve learned and what I’ve been able to share with the campers. I do think that I’ve reached my goal, but more goals await to be accomplished! Another goal I had was that by the end of the summer I would have researched and taught about science and technology in World War II and why that is important today. Camp is over and my time researching science and technology in World War II is also over. Though many of the activities were laid out for me and I did not have to do much background research, I know that soon I will be researching. The Overnight is approaching and I will be taking activities performed in camp and making them accessible to parents and children at the Overnight. The Family Overnight allows families to spend the night in the Museum and experience all the museum has to offer. I am excited to expand upon the activities performed in camp and make them fun for adults as well as children!

I am monitoring my learning internally and externally. I know I am learning when I am able to answer questions the campers have, but I also know I am learning when I can self-reflect and answer questions about my time at the museum and my work done there and if it is important and will impact me in the future. I am proud of my interactions with the campers and of really being there to help them with their projects and answer their questions. I already believe that these campers are so smart and know so much more than I do, so to help them learn and see them interact and have fun means so much to me.

I believe that I gained many transferable skills so far. I have furthered my communication skills and have gained experience working in a business setting off Tulane’s campus. I have learned what it means to be a leader by watching my supervisors lead everyday. I have learned the importance of preparation but also the importance of flexibility because sometimes it rains and sometimes bottle rockets don’t explode. I have learned so much from this internship and hope to use the skills I learned back in the real world, back in the world of school and work, back in a world where I don’t get to visit the National World War II Museum.

A family stopped by to investigate our Bottle Rocket adventure! She took notes!

We Can Do It!

More airplane fun! This time the target is Colin- one of the camp supervisors!

Crazy hat day at camp!

Crazy hat day at camp!

Uh-Oh! Prepare for blast off! Mentos and diet coke don't mix very well...

Uh-Oh! Prepare for blast off! Mentos and diet coke don’t mix very well…