Preparing for a Summer with teachNOLA

My name is Hannah Ryan, and I will be a senior this upcoming fall! I am majoring in Public Health, and after graduation will be continuing onto complete my MHA at Tulane’s School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine. I found my internship for this summer at one of Tulane’s Center for Public Service’s Internship Fairs.

This summer I am interning with teachNOLA. teachNOLA is a nonprofit teacher preparation program that “is designed to transform talented professionals into great teachers through practical, classroom-centered coursework, with a sharp focus on core skills.” teachNOLA is dedicated to “training a generation of great teachers who believe that change starts in the classroom.” The main office of teachNOLA is located in downtown New Orleans, but this summer I will be working at different training sites throughout the local area, as well as working in the office.

As an Operations Intern with teachNOLA I will be managing logistics for teaching hiring fairs, as well as developing strategies to collect licensing materials from teachers who have not yet turned them in. I will be following up with teachers about licensing documentation, which will be important to ensure that the teachers are on track to receive their license. One important skill I will be building is proficiency in Excel so I am able to quickly and efficiently communicate with teachers. I will also be helping to manage training/hiring logistics.

This summer, I hope to learn a lot about how a non-profit functions on a day-to-day basis, as well as develop various computer and communication skills. I am really looking forward to working with new people, and learning from every opportunity I take this summer. I am very interested in education, and think the exposure to teachNOLA and how it functions will be insightful into the changing education system.

Until next time,

Hannah