First week at teachNOLA — Hannah Ryan

Hey y’all!

This past week at teachNOLA has been very insightful, and I can’t wait for what will come next!

First off, I learned that teachNOLA and TNTP Academy are one and the same so I am interning for both organizations. TNTP used to stand for The New Teacher Project, but after awhile, it has just come to be TNTP.

The teachNOLA/TNTP Academy office is located in the CBD in New Orleans, right across from the Superdome, which is where I park! When I walked into the office, all I could think about was the television show The Office, and if my experience was going to be anything like the show. Let me tell you, my supervisor bares little to no resemblance to Michael Scott, and there aren’t quite the shenanigans in the teachNOLA office as in the Dunder Mifflin office, but I’m still enjoying it just the same! I think I have met just about everyone that works in the office, and they all seem very nice, and I look forward to interacting more with them in the future! Later on this week, there is another intern starting and I can’t wait to meet him or her, and start working with them as well.

The teachNOLA/TNTP Academy office

The teachNOLA/TNTP Academy office

At the start of the week, I was given an introduction to what teachNOLA does, and about all the necessary paperwork that must be received for all of this to be achieved. There is so many documents that come into play for teacher’s to be eligible for certification, and it is our responsibility to make sure that everyone has the necessary documents before the start of our Pre-Service Training. We use a large Google spreadsheet to compile everything, which we draw from a database and emails. I have learned that it is important to record everything, right when it happens, and that when recorded, it needs to be in the same format to make it easier to look up in the future, which can be difficult sometimes with multiple people inputting in the spreadsheet.

This is my desk at teachNOLA!

This is my desk at teachNOLA!

Most of my tasks throughout the week have been inputting information into the spreadsheet from the database, and then later on in the week I sent out 3 emails that were distributed to around 80-90 recipients, in which I then weaved through responses, responded and input more information into the spreadsheet. It is amazing how fast an inbox can fill up!

I look forward to developing my computer and communication skills, and well as learning the ins and outs of administrative tasks, through this internship. For now, most of what I will be doing will deal with the spreadsheet, but Pre-Service Training will start in a couple of weeks, and I can’t wait to see what that entails and what they will have me do next!

Until next time,

Hannah